Locations
George Pope Close, Norwich, Norfolk, NR3
Description
A man has been jailed for 19 years for multiple sex offences against a vulnerable young child, leaving her with ‘trauma for life’.
Trevor New-Watts, 57, of George Pope Close, Norwich, was sentenced at Norwich Crown Court on Friday (14 August 2026). He had previously denied committing his crimes but following a nine-day trial in July was found guilty of two counts of rape of a child, four counts of sexual assault of a child and two counts of causing a child under 13 to engage in sexual activity.
Police launched an investigation on 6 December 2022 after receiving a call from a relative of the victim, a vulnerable young girl who had disclosed multiple offences against her. The girl had used drawings to explain where she had been touched and what had happened to her. All offences took place between August 2021 and December 2022.
Officers arrested New-Watts the same day and seized his mobile phone - further devices were also seized from his home address. Searches were found on his phone asking how long DNA evidence would last on his body. When New-Watts was questioned by police, he gave a 'no-comment' interview.
A relative of the victim said New-Watts had ‘stolen’ the girl's childhood, adding she'd been ‘left with physical, emotional, and psychological injury and trauma’.
In court Judge Mark Dennis described New-Watts' offending as 'wicked'. He sentenced him to 19-years in prison and issued him with an indefinite Sexual Harm Prevention Order, an indefinite restraining order against the victim and placed him on the Sex Offenders’ Register for life.
Following sentencing Detective Constable Tabitha Goodrum said:
“It took a great deal of bravery for this victim to talk about what happened to her especially at such a young age. What New-Watts did caused a great deal of trauma and continues to have a profound impact on the victim and their family’s life.
“Not only did New-Watts refuse to accept responsibility for what he has done, he has put the victim and their family through the ordeal of a trial. We would like to say thank you to them for coming forward to police and hope that the fact he is now behind bars will help, at least in some way, to seeing justice done.”